Saturday, March 23, 2013

Alien Vegetation From Drinking Straws

I don't want to take credit for this idea, since I got it from a fellow forum meber over at the Lead Adventure Forum. I don't remember where he got the idea from, but maybe it was at Terra Genesis.

I believe these plants can be done in many different ways, so use your imagination and be creative in your design.

Here is how I did mine...

Some of the materials I used (of course I forgot some).
1. Drinking straws
2. Washers for bases
3. Pliers to hold the straws
4. A pair of scissors
5. Hot glue gun
6. Masking tape
7. A candle
I also used a lighter, sand and some paint...

First I cut out the straws in different lenghts.

This how they looked after I gave them a go over the candle.
Remember to use the pliers to hold the straws, you don't want to get melted plastic on your fingers.
It can be hard to avoid melting holes through the straws, but try out a bit and it gets easier. 


Here I have put the masking tape on the holes in the washers.
Using the hot glue gun I attached the straws in clusters of 7-9 each.


Here I have added sand to the bases and painted the straws.

What is left is painting up the bases in the colours of my gaming table and then they should be ready for use.

Also, remember to do this in a well ventilated room or outside, the fumes is probably very toxic!

2 comments:

  1. Very convincing and nice!

    They almost look like real alien fauna.

    Good tutorial too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Easy cheap and looking really nice! Cheers mate!

    ReplyDelete